How to Investigate Animal Cruelty in NY State – A Manual of Procedures
Example 14 – Abandoned Animals: Animal Abandoned in Owned Trailer
A complainant called the local humane agency during the winter and reported that an animal was abandoned in a house trailer.
- The investigator went to the premises and saw a dog inside the trailer. It appeared as though no one had been on the premises for some time. There were no tire tracks or foot prints in the snow.
- The investigator left a card in the door so if the door were opened, the card would fall out. The card instructed the owner to call the humane society.
- The investigator returned the next day. The card had not been removed, nor were there any other foot prints in the snow.
- Based on the circumstances, the investigator applied for a search warrant, citing Violations of Sections 353 and 355 of the Agriculture and Markets Law.
- The county sheriff’s department executed the warrant, and humane society investigators removed the dog to the animal shelter.
The individual responsible was not found.
Supporting Documents Follow