Public Hearing on the Welfare of Racehorses in New York State
SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE ON RACING, GAMING AND WAGERING and
SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE ON DOMESTIC ANIMAL WELFARE
Wednesday, June 5, 2019 – 10:00 AM
Legislative Office Building, Hearing Room A
NYSHA, Horse Racing Wrongs, and Responsible Animal Care were instrumental in working with Senator Addabbo’s Office to assemble this hearing, the first of its kind on the welfare of racehorses and their aftercare. The Senator invited numerous representatives from humane groups, as well as those from the racing industry.
A link is provided below of the entire 4-hour hearing. NYSHA is featuring speakers that we feel advocate for the health, safety, and lives of these animals exploited by the racing industry. Those testimonies are provided below. Click on speakers’s name for testimony.
- Robert Williams, Deputy Secretary, NYS Gaming Commission
- Scott Palmer, Equine Medical Director, NYS Gaming Commission
- Dr. Sheila Lyons, Founder and Director, The American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation, Homecoming Farm, Inc.
- Dr. Kraig Kulikowski, Equine Veterinarian
- John Holland, President Equine Welfare Alliance
- Dr. Lester Friedlander, Equestrian Veterinarian
- Susan Wagner, Founder and President of Equine Advocates
- John Scheib, Director, Responsible Animal Care
- Susan McDonough, Legislative Committee, New York State Humane Association
- Patrick Battuello, Founder and President of Horse Racing Wrongs.com
- Susan Kayne, Founder & President, Unbridled Thoroughbred Foundation
- Anna Ford, New Vocations Racehorse Adoption Program
- Betty Holt, Purple Haze Standardbred Adoption Program
- Diana Pikulski, Editor, Thoroughbred Adoption Network
- Colleen Segarra, President, Equine Rescue Resource, Inc.
- Tom DeJesu, Director of Public Outreach NYRA
- Jeffrey Cannizzo, New York Throughbred Breeders
- Andy Belfiore, New York Thoroughbred Horseman’s Association
- Lisa Molloy, Saratoga War Horse Program
- Richard Schosberg, New York Thoroughbred Horseman’s Association