How to Investigate Animal Cruelty in NY State – A Manual of Procedures
Example 13 – Abandoned Animals: Animal Abandoned in Rented House
A landlord called the local humane agency and reported that a tenant had moved three days before and left a dog in the basement of the building. No one had come to feed it.
- The investigator interviewed the landlord and took photographs of the dog and the conditions in the basement.
- Because of his observations and the landlord’s statements, the investigator removed the dog to the animal shelter.
- The landlord gave the investigator the tenant’s new address.
- The investigator located the individual and interviewed him. The individual stated that he had moved a few days before. When asked who was responsible for feeding the dog, the individual said ” no one.”
- The investigator issued the individual an appearance ticket.
The individual involved was charged with a violation of Article 26 Section 355 of the Agriculture and Markets Law.
Supporting Documents Follow